Sunday, May 22, 2011

It Happened All Too Quickly...

This afternoon, we witnessed a serious accident on the freeway.

To be honest, we were almost a part of that serious accident.

We were coming home from a nice lunch out celebrating the retirement of my sister in laws mom, stopping off at Costco on the way home.

We were traveling in the slow lane of the freeway when all of a sudden traffic started to slow down. As Steven looked in the rear view mirror, it was apparent that the car behind was not making any attempts to stop. Steven continued to drive forward and even off to the shoulder of the freeway to avoid being rear ended.

The car swerved to the left and then tried to compensate for the swerve and there we watched the car spin and then tip onto it's side. At some point I remember saying outloud "Lord, be with the people in that car".

Steven stopped the car, and the freeway traffic came to a standstill. He told me to call 911 and I did. Voice shaking and all, giving a description of the scene and the location. Getting out of the car and walking toward the overturned car, there were many on their cell phones, all calling the same phone number I'm sure.

With the help of many people who stopped and got out of their cars to help, the people in the overturned Ford Expedition all crawled out of the car, non appearing to be majorly hurt. THAT was a miracle. There were a ton of people there, helping, there was no need for me to stay, so I went and got back into our car and off we went. Thankful we'd not been rear ended like it looked like we were going to be. Thankful that the people in the car appeared to overall be okay.

This was the first time I'd ever witnessed such an accident. I've always driven past the overturned car after it'd happened. I've never witnessed the overturning first hand. And to be honest, it was scary. And it was a real eye opener as to how quickly something like that can happen...

1 comment:

Letti said...

I am glad everything was ok. I have witnessed an accident before and I was very shaken up. Its something that I don't want to experience again.

Life

Hello. Is there anybody out there?? I've neglected my blogs for so long, I'm sure I'm just talking to myself. Which is fine. T...