Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Dress

This dress is a very special dress. It's the very dress that my Mom dressed me in for my one year pictures. Whoa, not only is that dress special, it's old! LOL. It's the only piece of clothing I have from my infancy/childhood. For years, it clothed the nakedness of a giant bear I owned. And then I started having my own children. As Hannah's first birthday approached, I thought how cool it would be to have her one year pictures taken in the very dress I had mine taken in And so I did. She even had a shirt that was pretty similar to the one I'd worn twenty seven years earlier.

Four years later, I had Rachel's one year pictures taken in the same dress. After getting those pictures back, I framed the three pictures together in one collage and hung it in the hallway. I love those pictures.After seeing special articles of baby clothing framed on the walls in a few movies, I thought about how I'd love to frame that dress and then hang it above the pictures of us three wearing the dress. I searched and searched for the perfect frame. When I finally found one that was the right size and color, etc, and when I finally went to actually frame the dress, I couldn't find it!!! I was bummed.

I searched high and low for that dress. I looked in the Rubbermaid containers of clothes I have saved. Nope, not there. Steven even suggested that I'd accidentally tossed it in one of my Goodwill cleaning expeditions. I knew it had to be somewhere around here...

...I am so happy to say that I found it yesterday!!!! It was inside the memory box of the girls special papers up in our closet. I'm not sure why it was in there, but I was extremely happy to have found it!! It's been missing for at least two or three years. And thankfully I still had the shadowbox frame tucked in the back of our closet.

So today, aside from getting groceries, one of the things I really wanted to accomplish was to get that dress ironed, framed, and on the wall! And after a trip to Joanne's for two new buttons (somehow I'd lost one) and some material, I am happy to say, I accomplished my goal and it's now hung on the wall, above the framed pictures of us three girls. It makes me happy to walk out our bedroom door and through the hallway to see the grouping finally all together!!!

4 comments:

Joy Howse said...

That looks great!!!! I don't think my mom has anything of mine, or it was passed down to so many other kiddos and really got it's use out of it. My goal with Aiden's clothes it to keep the outfit he wears for each birthday and his coming home from the hospital outfit. Then when he is older (maybe when he has kids), I will have the material made into a blanket for his child. The thoughts going through my head and he is only 18 months old. :)

Liz said...

I love it!!!

Patty said...

It really looks good...you did a good job!

Kim said...

Really neat keepsake, Darc!

Life

Hello. Is there anybody out there?? I've neglected my blogs for so long, I'm sure I'm just talking to myself. Which is fine. T...