Thursday, May 28, 2009

Penne Pasta

I tried a new recipe last night for dinner and it was YUMMY! The entire family gave it a thumbs up, so it's officially a keeper and will be put on the menu rotation for another night down the road!

Penne Pasta with Sausage and Roasted Peppers

5 Red bell peppers
2 onions, cut into 1-inch dice
3 TBSP minced garlic
8 Sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
1 14oz can of diced tomatoes, with the juice
Salt and Pepper
1 box Penne Pasta cooked, and drained
Grated Parmesan cheese
4 TBSP Olive oil

Preheat the oven to 425.

Wash the peppers and roast until skin blackens and blisters. I simply laid them on a cookie sheet. Transfer to a bowl and over with plastic wrap. Let cool for 30 minutes. Remove skin, stem, and seeds. Cut into 1-inch squares and set aside.

Heat 2 TBSP (I used a little more) in a large heavy bottomed saucepan. Add onions and saute over medium heat until tender. Add peppers and cook until soft. Add garlic and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.

Add remaining Olive Oil (I needed a little more) to the pan and brown sausage meat, breaking up with a spoon for 10 minutes or until cooked. Add the pepper mixture. Stir in the tomatoes and bring to a simmer and cook for 7-8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Combine cooked pasta with the sausage mixture and heat through.

Serve with grated Parmesan cheese.

2 comments:

Letti said...

Thanks for posting this I can't wait to try it.

Liz said...

yum!! That looks good!

Life

Hello. Is there anybody out there?? I've neglected my blogs for so long, I'm sure I'm just talking to myself. Which is fine. T...