Monday, October 13, 2008

My Dentist Appointment

So I broke down this morning and called the office of a potentially new dentist for me. I had no pain today and made it through all of yesterday with no Advil, etc. So I'm doing great (thanks to everyones prayers!) and it took a lot for me to call to get an appointment. I knew I had to have this checked out, for if it gets put off and put off, it'll happen again or something MAJOR would have to be fixed.

First off, the office is in an old house that has been transformed into a beautiful and nice dental office. Very nice. The office staff, as well as the assistant, were all extremely nice. Once I was put into a room, the assistant decided to do an xray. I warned her of my sensitive gag reflex. However, the xrays at this office were so much different than my "old" dentist. She put the film on this little clip wand and put it into my mouth, and the xrays automatically came up on the computer screen in front of her, and on the TV hanging above my head! How totally cool is that?!?! I could see my own xrays in a very cool way and didn't have to wait for them to develop to see if they needed another, etc.

When the dentist came in, he was nice. Thanks to an awesome website, I had seen his picture and saw that he looked nice, but once I met him, he was nice in person as well. He was very gentle and caring and did a very thorough exam of the tooth in question. He had me put my teeth together, he checked my bite and my jaw bones, and he's pretty sure my problem is a combination of a few things: 1) I clench my teeth and that hasn't been helpful to the teeth in the area 2) My bite is way off and that doesn't help things either 3) The crown I had put on 2 years ago was hitting wrong. He grinded my top teeth a bit and a spot or two on the bottom and then tested it with his marking paper over and over and over again til things looked and felt right.

And in the end, I REALLY, REALLY liked this dentist. I made a return appointment for next month to have my teeth cleaned and him recheck that tooth and I'm suppose to call if I have problems before then. But when I got to the car, I literally could have cried. I was so anxious about this tooth and seeing the dentist, and choosing a new one at that, and I was so thankful to the Lord that this appointment went well.

Now, I just need to get Steven in to see him...it's been a while since he's seen his dentist. And make appointments for the girls to see his wife, who is a pediatric dentist, and we'll all be set in the dental hygiene department!

2 comments:

Liz said...

I'm sooo glad it went well. I grew up with a dental assistant, so I've never had a fear of the dentist & it always makes me sad to hear of friends who "let their dental checkups go" because of fear. I'm glad that it went well and that you're OK with the new guy!!!

Joy Howse said...

I am so glad to hear that your appointment went so well. I also have a major fear of the dentist. I finally found someone I like but she is not in my network so there is no way I can go to her for the major stuff. Suffered with a major need for a root canal for the last 3+ months of pregnancy. If I could have taken pliers and pulled it myself I would have in a heartbeat.

Life

Hello. Is there anybody out there?? I've neglected my blogs for so long, I'm sure I'm just talking to myself. Which is fine. T...