Monday, August 18, 2008

It's Official ...

I have been chosen to be the Room Mom for Hannah's class this school year.

Last Spring, when we first learned that our class would be broken up, I wasn't sure if I volunteer to be Room Mom when the PTA sent out a note seeking parent involvement for the new school year.

For the last three years, I've been the Room Mom. I've had the exact same parents, give or take one or two new ones, to work with. I knew what our parents were capable of providing whether it came to donating things I needed for parties, or if I needed help at those parties, etc. I had a five or six particular Moms I felt comfortable going straight to and asking for help. I enjoyed the position and enjoyed working with all the great families we had in our class.

I love to help out in areas like this. I like to be involved in the happenings of Hannah's class. However, I am not one of those territorial PTA moms who HAVE to have a major part in everything, or have a voice in everything, etc. So I was willing to let another Mom, or Dad, take on the role of Room Parent this year if someone stepped up to the plate to do so. Well, either no one else stepped up to the plate, or I was picked because my name was known from past years, but at any rate, I received word today that I have been chosen.

I have a Room Mom meeting on Friday morning with the principal and other members of PTA to discuss the school year ahead of us and areas where help is needed, etc. I've also already contacted Hannah's teacher and will meet with her Thursday after school to see what her expectations and needs are from me this year and to discuss what she desires for holiday parties, etc.

I'm a little nervous heading into this adventure. While I know I can do it, it's a whole new set of parents (with the exception of two!) that I'll have to work with and have contact with.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You my friend will do just fine!!! Your a pro!!!

Liz said...

Funny you should mention this. I just got home from a PTO meeting tonight. I am the chairman for all the room moms at our campus this year. Should be fun!

Life

Hello. Is there anybody out there?? I've neglected my blogs for so long, I'm sure I'm just talking to myself. Which is fine. T...