Monday, October 4, 2010

Disappointed

Over the last couple of months, our Pastor has mentioned a time or two in his messages about how we sometimes wear these 'masks' or put up these 'facades". We are quick to answer the question "How Are You?" with a "I'm good" or "Fine", when in reality things aren't good, or aren't fine.

Last Sunday, I woke up with heart palpitations and some shortness of breath, and pain upon breathing. Ah, the joys of anxiety!

When someone asked me how I was, I decided to be honest...

My response, "I'm okay".

Their response, "Just Okay?"

"Yeah, just okay."

"I'm not even gonna ask" was their response, and they turned and walked away.

And this Sunday, when anyone asked me "How are You?", I had to laugh to myself and pondered how to answer that question.

It also left me wondering, truly wondering, just who in that place really did care about me? I know without a shadow of a doubt of a few people who care about me (aside from the obvious of my Mother, Father, Brother, etc). But this exchange last week, really made a HUGE impact on me.

I sat a few times and really gave it some thought as to whether or not I've ever been like that. And as a couple of old friends come to mind, if I knew they were lying to me about being "fine" when asked "how are you?", I called them on it and asked them again until they were honest. "How are you?" isn't something I'd just ask in passing without having the time to listen if someone should say they weren't fine.

If we as Christians can't expect to love each other like Jesus would, then how does He expect us to love and an extend a hand out to those who are lost? Sadly, a lot of time Christians are disappointing, and unfortunately, this time it was me that was disappointed by one...


"Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers."
~ Galatians 6:10

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

Very true ~ it is far easier to answer 'how is the boy', with 'he is fine', and let the people go on their way than to tell the truth. A true friend can see past the smile to the pain in your eyes. Hang in the Darcy, some really DO care!!!!! Luv ya!!

Liz said...

Bravo! So true!

Kim said...

Wow, that is a disappointing response. If she/he didn't want to know, why even ask the follow-up question "Just fine?"

Life

Hello. Is there anybody out there?? I've neglected my blogs for so long, I'm sure I'm just talking to myself. Which is fine. T...