Sunday, August 3, 2008

Mt. Whitney Fish Hatchery - Destroyed

When we were on our way home from our Mammoth camping trip in June, we stopped at the Mt. Whitney Fish Hatchery. It was a beautiful fish hatchery with a huge pond out front, and a beautiful old building that housed the fish eggs and baby fish. Recently when we were visiting my Uncle, he told us that he had learned that the fish hatchery had been destroyed July 13th, when a destructive wall of mud came barreling down the nearby mountains, due to major thunderstorms and it's effects of a fire damaged hills.

The outside fish raceways became filled with mud, leaving the 3000 Rainbow Trout all dead. And while the building still stands, the hatchery grounds have been destroyed.
The 395 was closed for hours as a result of the mudslide.


It's hard to comprehend the damage of what a mud slide can do. And it's hard to think about that beautiful hatchery, now in ruins. I'm so thankful we made the time to stop and enjoy it!

2 comments:

Mishel said...

I had not heard about this! How sad! : (

Kim said...

Bummer! I wonder if they're going to rebuild it?

I know some people who are still recovering from the mudslides adn flooding we had here last December. What a mess it makes!

Life

Hello. Is there anybody out there?? I've neglected my blogs for so long, I'm sure I'm just talking to myself. Which is fine. T...